Posted by: Gill | 2007/07/26

post-pregnancy baby weight

I now weight 95 kg, and pre-pregnant weight was 65 kg. i work long hours, and am a single parent. The most exercise I can get is if a walk around the block with the pram on evenings that I arrive home before sunset. (about twice a week). I was prescribed Duramine by a GP. Do you know about this? Will it work? How is this compared to Xenecal?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Gill
I hear what you are saying and sympathise with you because it must be very difficult to try and lose weight and still be a single parent who has to work long hours. Duromine is a schedule 5 medication, which means that it can only be prescribed by a medical dr. It is described as 'a short-term adjunct to mass reduction in conjunction with a reduced kJ intake (i.e. a diet)' in my copy of MIMS. Like all medications it can cause side-effects and should ideally not be used for longer than 3 months. The medication needs to be combined with a low-fat, energy-reduced diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output. The walks you take with baby are already a step in the right direction. Ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of home exercises that you can do (e.g. skipping, situps, etc) because doing about 30 min of physical activity a day does really help with weight loss. If the Duromine does not help, then do ask the dr for Xenical because you need to lose 30 kg. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing.
Hang in there

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.