Posted by: Corrie | 2008/11/11

Post polio syndrom 35 year old male

Good Morning Tai Chi Expert

I sent you a question previously and have not received a response as yet.

My husband suffered polio at an early age. This affected his R leg and R foot. He stopped wearin the braces around primary school due to being teased and have since not been wearing any support. Now he only wears lace up shoes and his shoes are not built up and it doesn' t allow for the 4-6cm difference in length between the two legs.He has also been complaining about his lower back and hip. I did tel him that he is buggering his hip and lower back up. But for the past 2 years he has been getting pains all over. First is was his knees, then his elbows, then wrists, shoulders, legs, calves, thighs, etc. Our GP prescribed Coxflam, since none of the other anti-inflammatories have been working. Recently I spoke to him and indicated to him that these pains could either be as a result of Gout (he loves Coke &  sweet Tea &  Coffee), Arthritis, Osteo-Arthritis, the lifting of heavy money boxes at his work - FG Cash Management, Or that maybe since he had the Polio, it could be that the Polio has left his bone structure &  muscles weak and could be the caus of the pain. I left it there.

My husband came to me a few days after this and told me that he did some research on the Internet and found that there was so much to be found on the Internet about Post Polio Syndrome and that various pains start happening approx 30 years to people who had Polio at an early age. I asked him if there are any meds that could alleviated the pain and he could not tell me, since it was overseas. I also asked if the pain would get worse with time, to which he replied Yes.

Please could you assist in helping us in more detail with this situation, since my husband is currently on meds for depression and I do not want him to lose hope if this means that the only thing left for him will be that the pain is going to be crippling him.

Also, if you could advise as to what pain killers is available in SA.

Is he classified as " Person with a Disability"  or " a Handicapped Person" ?

Also, where we could register him for this?

I eagerly await your urgent response.

Thank you

Corrie Louw
Tel: 033-846-7384
Cel: 072-607-2104
Fax: 033-845-0201

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTai Chi expert

HI Corrie,

Thank you for your post on our Tai Chi forum.
First of all the difference in the legs will most surely be causing all the aches and pains your husband is experiencing. I am confident to say that his hips and spinal alignment is effected and therefore all the aches and pains. It is imperative that your husband seeks professional help re this where they will be building up his shoe in various formats. He might even need a chiro to re align his hips and spine. Tai Chi with misaligned hips is not going to do him any good as he will have that limitation of the shorter leg. I would recommend that he practises tai chi with the adjusted shoe on. But again it is imperative that he seeks professional advice re this as i am only going on what you are telling me. Once the shorter leg is seen to and the aligned hips and spine is seen to then the Tai Chi will assist in ensuring the corect posture and stabilizing muscles are maintained.
I would also recommend you post your question to our forum GP for further advice on medication and disability/handicap issues.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.