Posted by: Corrie | 2008/11/11

Post Polio Pain - 35 Year Old Male

Good Morning Doc

I sent you a question previously and have not received a response as yet.

My husband suffered polio at an early age. This affected his R leg and R foot. He stopped wearin the braces around primary school due to being teased and have since not been wearing any support. Now he only wears lace up shoes and his shoes are not built up and it doesn' t allow for the 4-6cm difference in length between the two legs.He has also been complaining about his lower back and hip. I did tel him that he is buggering his hip and lower back up. But for the past 2 years he has been getting pains all over. First is was his knees, then his elbows, then wrists, shoulders, legs, calves, thighs, etc. Our GP prescribed Coxflam, since none of the other anti-inflammatories have been working. Recently I spoke to him and indicated to him that these pains could either be as a result of Gout (he loves Coke &  sweet Tea &  Coffee), Arthritis, Osteo-Arthritis, the lifting of heavy money boxes at his work - FG Cash Management, Or that maybe since he had the Polio, it could be that the Polio has left his bone structure &  muscles weak and could be the caus of the pain. I left it there.

My husband came to me a few days after this and told me that he did some research on the Internet and found that there was so much to be found on the Internet about Post Polio Syndrome and that various pains start happening approx 30 years to people who had Polio at an early age. I asked him if there are any meds that could alleviated the pain and he could not tell me, since it was overseas. I also asked if the pain would get worse with time, to which he replied Yes.

Please could you assist in helping us in more detail with this situation, since my husband is currently on meds for depression and I do not want him to lose hope if this means that the only thing left for him will be that the pain is going to be crippling him.

Also, if you could advise as to what pain killers is available in SA.

Is he classified as " Person with a Disability"  or " a Handicapped Person" ?

Also, where we could register him for this?

I eagerly await your urgent response.

Thank you

Corrie Louw
Tel: 033-846-7384
Cel: 072-607-2104
Fax: 033-845-0201

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Dear Corrie

Thank you for visiting

Firstly, it is necessary for your husband to consult an orthropaedic surgeon to assess the damage that he has caused to his hips and pelvis, due to the fact that he is not wearing corrective shoes. He should aquire corrective shoes urgently.

His GP can do blood tests to exclude the possibility of him having gout or any other inflammatory diseases.

There is a condition called Post Polio Syndrome/Neuritis (Refer to the following link: He has to consult a neurologist for pain management.

He is classified as a person with a physical disability. What registration are you referring to?


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Also disabled | 2009/02/18

As far as I know one does not register as a disabled person in S.A. This is only done overseas, where one gets alsorts of concessions as a disabled person but not here. Also if you are emplyed and earn above a certain amount each month you cannot apply for a disability grant or pension.

Reply to Also disabled

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.