Question
Posted by: karina | 2004/10/28

post operative scarring.

Could you please advise of the best possible procedure after an
operation to care for and to limit scarring.
Is it advisable to use microspore surgical to tape the scar
to prevent stretching.
When is it advisable to start using creams / vitamen e oils etc.
The advice I have received is confusing and contradictory.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Karina,

Various options are available. If a patient is known with a tendency to form keloids, I usually refer the patient to an occupational therapist for professional scar management with silicone sheeting. In areas which tend to stretch, such as breasts, I use a strong surgical tape, called Hypafix, and tape the scar for up to three or four months.

Creams and oils should not be used while the wound is still open or wet, as this could lead to infection. This is usually about 3-4 weeks after surgery. You can use a tissue oil, Vitamin E oil, something like Bio-Oil or Dermastine and massage this into the area for about 10 minutes at a time, 3 times a day. If the area is still tender, minimise the massage, and gradually increase the time period. This helps with the breakdown of collagen, which leads to keloid formation.

There are also other tips and tricks, but these are really the basics.

1
Posted by: Pete | 2004/11/16

Where can I find the product "Dermastine"?

Reply to Pete