Question
Posted by: Abby | 2004/10/30

Post op tummy

I had an emergency hystorectomy a couple of months ago and since then my stomache seems to grow every day even though I eat healthily and exercise alot. Someone told me the surgeon probably damaged my ab muscles during my opertation and there's no hope of a flat stomache again. Is this the case or is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Hi Abby

Regarding the possibility that the surgeon may have damaged the muscle, I don't know - this is something only a doctor would be able to tell you and it would be a completely wild guess for me to say yes or no either way. As for exercise and diet, I would think that this could make a difference, though if there was some trauma during surgery (which I must admit I have never heard of) then it will be difficult. I think that considering you are exercising and eating well, and though I don't know what this exercise or diet consists of, it would be feasible that there may be some other problem. Again, I would check this out with a doctor first and find out if it is possible that this surgery can damage the muscle in this way.