Question
Posted by: Jokey | 2007/03/05

Post op exercise

I am about 30kg's overweight and had a hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. Prior to my op, I bought a lateral thigh trainer and would like to know if it's safe to start using it now. If not, what exercises would you recommend. I have started (2weeks ago) following the healthy eating plan from your diet section, and know that eating healthy must be accompanied by some exercise if weight loss is to be achieved.

Hi Jokey

I suspect it is, but I'm not the best judge of that. The best judge would be you and your doctor who has advised and consulted on this so far. Only you and that doctor can know for sure that your surgery and subsequent recovery have been successful enough to allow training. But 8 weeks is a fair amount of time, and the lateral thigh trainer is a machine that really is only activating a small muscle group in a very static and controlled fashion, so I don't forsee any risk at all in that.

On that note, start with the machine now, by all means (Assuming it's cleared with the doc), but do consider switching to other forms of exercise in the future. The problem with the thigh trainer is that it only activates a really small muscle mass and the best results are achieved with 'whole body' cardio training like running, cycling, swimming, taebo and such activities. So if you can do some of those, for maybe 30 to 45 minutes per day it will help a lot more.

Ross