Question
Posted by: Ms Mo | 2004/01/21

Post-natal stress/disorder

HI Doc

My sister told me that in the first few days of her baby's life she literally saw her baby with the head facing backwards, it's explained as some post-natal mentaldisease or something like that. My fear is that I am half-way through my pregnancy and I am extremely excited about it and I even get to the point where all I can concentrate on is waiting for the next moment my baby kicks.

People think I am obsessed with my pregnancy, and my fear is that I will also get the same mental condition, and endanger my baby's life. I need advise on how to keep my mind controlled.

Dear Ms MO,
Relax. Yes, sometimes briefly, sometimes for a wee bit longer, some women can suffer from a Post-Natal Depression or Post-Natal Psychosis, and have such odd experiences. I gather that your sister had some such experience, but has ended up as well as ever. Although this is a possibility in any pregnancy, it's no more likely to happen to you than to anyone else ; and if it happens, both you and your family are already more alert to spotting it han most folks would be, so it can be recognized and treated appropriately immediately, with no likelihood of any bad consequences ; in the unlikely event that it does happen.