Question
Posted by: Emma | 2008/01/15

Post Natal Depression

Hi Doc, I have been trying to deal with what is possibly PND for the last 2and a half years now. I have never had therapy as i thought I could handle it. I have a lovely 18 month old baby that I am struggling terribly to bond with and it is making me even more depressed as sometimes I feel like its not even my child. I have tried to explain this to my husband but he has absolutely no sympathy and just says its just an excuse to shirk my responsibilities. I cry myself to sleep at night cos I am so miserable and yet I have so much to be grateful for. I don't know what to do anymore. Do I need to get counselling cos I don't feel like I can deal with this on my own any longer.

PND is a significant and serious illness, which, fortunately, responds very well to treatment. See a good local shrink for a full assessment, maybe medication PLUS CBT counselling specifically would be a good combination to enable you to return to your usual self, and start enjoying motherhood at last. Its understandable that capable people expect themselves to cope, but something like PND has such a large biological / chemical element, that one should always seek expert assessment and then proper treatment to enable you to benefit from your excellent capabilities.