Question
Posted by: Yolande | 2004/11/15

Post natal depression

Please can you give me some advice. My little baby is 4 days short of 4 months. When he was born I seemed to sail through baby blues, etc. Now I seem to be battling to get through the day. I am short tempered to the point that when my baby cries I want to shout at him to shut up ans sometimes I find myself doing this if he cries for a long period. I also get impatient with him if he does not eat properly or not going to sleep when he should be.

I am also experiencing extreme lonliness in the day (I am still on maternity leave till January) and start counting the hours to when my husband should get home from early in the morning. My husband works extremely long hours and I do not see him at all until about 19h00 at night. He leave for work before baby and I am awake.

I have joined the Moms and Babes group and love the sessions we have. I count the days to the next week just to have a bit of company.

Is this PND or am I just experiencing lonliness and helplessness from lack of adult company and assistance.

PS I am still breast feeding my little one so dad cannot even help with night feeding.

Could be a PND developing. The only way to be sure is to see a doc for assessment of all aspects of the situation, and advise on treatment, based on the results of the assessment. The Moms and babes group sounds excellent. Inc is right about getting Dad to share in the care ( and the bonding ), and are there any other members of your or his family who can joi you at times, do a spot of baby-sitting while you take a break ?

1
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/16

Baby blues is not nice at all. Speak to you doc and see what he recommends.... I don't know if there is medication available while you are still breast-feeding... find out. Is it really neccessay for dad to work late all the time? Parenting is a joint effort.
Let dad help you with feeds... you can express your milk and keep it in the fridge for him. Dad can also help you with bath times... don't be impatient... babies sense this and that makes them more restless. Also allow your hubby to do things his way... don't stress about everything being just right... you all will be much happier and relaxed.

Reply to Inc