Posted by: BBK | 2011/05/23

Post Nasal Drip and Rhinitis

I am struggling with chronic post nasal drip and it is causing me a whole of anxiety that I cannot enjoy being alive.
I have had surgery (Septoplasty), I have been on cortisone (briefly), antihistamine (Deselex), decongestant (Singulair) and Avamyss nasal spray for over 5 months now.
I have seen a homeopath who has prescribed drops and pills with no luck.
I feel thick mucus in my throat at all times although it''s a litte better in the morning, I gag and feel like I cannot breath at times.
I have headaches, bad breath and fatigue as a result.
I have been to my GP and 2 ENTs already, had CAT scans and now it is starting to feel like I cannot be helped.
I was wondering whether you could recommend an ENT specialist based in Johannesburg who is knowleadgable or highly experienced rather in treating and curing what I am currently struggling with.
Your help would be greatly appreciated as this is unbearable.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear BBK

It seems as if you are now suffering from Chronic rhino sinusitis (CRS), as your symptoms have been persisting for longer than three months. The CT scans are important to rule out any sinus pathology, that may not have been evident on the nasal examination.
It may be that no surgery is required, but that only means that you should benefit from conservative management. It is important that a cause should be found , in which case your management will require ajustment. Some cases require long term antibiotics (6 to 12 weeks), some require longterm topical steroids. Avamys/Nasonex, etc.
It is impossible to recommend an ENT , so please use the ENT website to find a surgeon with a special interest in the sino nasal area. ( You could also contact the university to ask if they have a person specialising in Rhinology.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.