Question
Posted by: Anna | 2008/01/18

post-christmas depression

Dear CS,

I have made it through a frantic festive season - having to deal with incredibly self-involved family members(parent and step-parents), and visitors from overseas.

I am exhausted and on the brink of telling all my "loved" ones to get out of my life forever - please advise me on how to get some perspective and set up some boundaries so I don't find myself back here again.

Well, Anna, pleased to hear you made it, uncomfortable though it might have been at times ! The festive season really brings out the worst in so many people, doesn't it ? Actually, I seem to remember having written an article for H24 a while back on how to cope with the festive season, that from the sound of it ought to fit your bill just about perfectly ! I think one key is to refuse to fel obligated to have any more people on your hands than you feel you can enjoy and cope with comfortably, and politely refuse to over-tax yourself. I have checked the Constitution and it doesn't seem to say anywhere that you're compelled to invite them all, or to accept when they invite themselves. Maybe get in first by sending them festive greetings and explaining that you plan to be away and unreachable at that time, but wish them well.
So long as that doesn't leave you spending Christmas day crouched under the piano pretending not to be in !

1
Posted by: aNNa | 2008/01/18

Thank you - I shall go and order a piano for Christmas 2008!

Reply to aNNa