Question
Posted by: Hazel | 2003/03/05

Post Baby Weight Loss

I had a baby boy 17 months ago and cannot seem to lose my weight. While I was pregnant I picked up 24 kg's and my son was born at 37.5 weeks weighing 3.33kg's. I lost a lot of weight within the first couple of weeks after his birth, but since then have hit a plateau. I breastfed him till he was 1 year old and thought that that was supposed to encourage weight loss. I had an emergency caesar and am left with a horrible "tyre" in the scar area. I hate exercise and before I fell pregnant I had never looked better. I had a lovely figure and looked really good. Now I feel that I look like a blimp. My husband says he loves me no matter how I look, but obviously I want to look good, both for myself and for him. Please help ....

Dear Hazel
I can't judge if you are overweight or not because you don't list your height in metres and weight in kg. I suspect that you may have lost sufficient weight for your present weight to be in the normal range which is when the human body resists weight loss. Part of the problem may be the ugly scar - talk to a plastic surgeon about this - they can really do a lot. If you are eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet', 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and you don't lose weight, then you should have a checkup to see if you don't have an underlying problem like an underactive thyroid, etc. Be creative and try to figure out some kind of exercise even you can like, e.g. swimming, tae bo, karate, walking in the fresh air, anything in fact that will get you going because it will stimulate your metabolism.

1
Posted by: Hazel | 2003/03/06

Thank you!

Reply to Hazel