Question
Posted by: Nunu | 2007/06/11

Post baby weight

Hello doc,
I had a baby girl approximately 3 months ago via c-section & l am struggling to get rid of the dreaded jelly belly. My abdominal muscles feel very weak, could this also be caused by the size of my baby - she was 4.2 kgs at birth. Also, l have hurt my back recently and was wondering what exercises to do that can help. Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you!!

Dear Nunu
Congratulations to you too on the birth of your baby. Check with your dr or gynae if you are allowed to do exercises to tighten up your stomach muscles - you don't want to do any damage at this stage. Mention that you have hurt your back, because the best exercises for firming up the tummy muscles are sit-ups and you may not be able to do these exercises until your back has recovered. Be careful until you get a clean bill of health on your back. Rather be careful because you don't want to damage yourself. Once you have fully recovered you can start doing sit-ups (ask Fitness Doc on this Website exactly which exercises will help to tighten your tummy muscles) and gradually increase how many you do a day.