Question
Posted by: Agie | 2007/03/28

Post: 909

We had a big debate over Tab vs Oros yesterday. my kids have about 500ml of diluted Oros or the Oros that you get in the small bottles (ready made). is it good for them to have Oros every day???????? i pack it in their lunch-bags.

Dear Agie
According to the SA Food Tables squashes like Oros contain 110 kJ per 100 ml, whereas artificially sweetened cold drinks like Tab contain only 2 kJ per 100 ml. Therefore Oros is higher in energy which can cause weight gain in susceptible children (new research indicates that sugar-sweetened liquids are more likely to cause weight gain than sugar-sweetened solid foods). I think it would be a good idea to give the children small quantities of diluted fruit juices to take to school or milk drinks or to teach them to drink water instead. Remind the children to rinse out their mouths after drinking fruit juice and products like Oros and even after having milk drinks, as the carbohydrates in these drinks can cause tooth decay.