Question
Posted by: Not my usual nic | 2005/07/27

Possibly pregnant

Cs, hope you are feeling better, I am sure the warmer weather is helping.

I am in trouble. I don't know what to do, I have been trying to deny the symptoms for some time now, but they are developing more and more. I was on the injection earlier this year, and went off it because of bad side effects. The Doc warned that it could take up to three months for my cycle to return to normal. Its three months later and still nothing. My breats are extremely tender and I am nauseous, head and abdomen aches etc.

I am terrified that I am pregnant. I am 22, living with bf. My dad will freak, I don't know how I will tell my parents and friends. I am not ready to be a mother, I know it sounds selfish, but I still have so much to do.We could not afford a kid anyway. We have been getting on so well altely, things are great, and now this.

I am to scared to even get the test.

Take it easy, nmun. I understand your alarms. I suppose pregnancy is a real possibility, though I'm not fully aware of all the effects of coming off the injection, especially when one has had some problems with it. Usually, I thought that in such a situation, the doc would warn you to use alternative forms of contraception until things had stabilized and some other method finally chosen. Look after yourself, and, if this is the case, you baby. Your dad will just have to come around to it, and may take it better than you think. Do a test, and maybe discuss the result with your doc, as they may also be a bit unreliable in the aftermath of the injection. Remember, though it's natural to feel a bit scared about taking such a test, that the test won't cause anything to happen --- it'll only give you the advantage of knowing more about what IS happening. And this might still be due to coming off the injection.
If it does turn out to be a pregnancy, you will cope with this, and work with a counsellor for a couple of sessions, to help, if needed

10
Posted by: Star | 2005/07/28

Remember, you might know people, but you can never know how they will react, you can only presume, and we all know what happened with presumption!

Let us know!

Reply to Star
Posted by: Liza | 2005/07/27

I became pregnant at 19. Woefully unprepared to be a mother, no money in the bank. No steady job - just temping here and there. Also didn't know how to tell my parents. So bf (now ex-husband) and I went to my moms' place and explained the situation to them. Instead of blowing up, my mom got all excited about being a grandmother. My dad was quiet for a while, and then later just accepted it. No recriminations. No demands that I go for an abortion.

What I learnt was that no matter what age you are, you learn to be a mother as soon as the child is born. Things feel awkward in the beginning, you're afraid that this helpless child will break, or that you'll accidentally drop him/her. Just remember that things come with practice. I don't think that any first-time mother is ready to be a mother. They learn through trial and error (mostly trial and the errors are small).

Ever got into a pool and already knew how to swim? Or climb on a bike for the first time and not fall? Don't expect yourself to feel ready to be a mother. I think that even with planned first-time pregnancies, that the mothers are just like those with unplanned pregnancies and are unprepared for the actual demands that a baby makes on your life.

My sisters' one friend is a pediatric nurse and still had difficulties with her first child. Sometimes completely helpless.

So go and do that test. The sooner you do it, the sooner you can decide what route would be the best to take. And if your bf is supportive, let him go with to tell your parents. If friends abandon you because you're pregnant - they weren't friends anyway.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/27

I even get the symptoms within the 2 week window (1 week before and 1 week after I am due)

Good luck - whatever the outcome. But perhaps even if it is negative you should tell your dad - would hate to be in your shoes if he found out you'd been hiding it.

Cross one bridge at a time. First do the test - then IF it it positive then think about being a mom

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: KC | 2005/07/27

Sopme people react differently to the side effects of going off the injection.

This could all just be symptoms of your hormones adjusting.

Do the test...you'll have results in 2 minutes and hopefully...peace of mind.

Reply to KC

I am stressing big time. My dad thinks I live by myself, my parents are divorced. I never told him I moved in with my bf. But thats besides the point, i just feel to young for all this. I don't even want to think about marriage and family and all that stuff.

I know there is always a possibility of falling pregnant even if you are carefull.

I will do the test today and let you guys know the results.

Reply to Not my usual nic
Posted by: Karen | 2005/07/27

Tx Joanne, that's what I was trying to say!

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/27

do the test. Coming off the injection can also mimic the symptoms of pregnancy. But do it - at least then you'll know.

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: Star | 2005/07/27

Relax, do the test and let the emotions run wild. Then stop, relax and take it one day at a time.

If you don't want a baby now, you should have thought about it before you did the hanky panky, or did it responsibly. You knew what the risks are, even on contraceptive.

Forget about your father and mother, they too will overeact maybe, and then calm down and help you sort this out.

Remember everthing in live happens for a reason, that is what I believe, even if we don't understand why at the time, doesn't mean is is wrong.

Good luck, do a test today and get back to us, we will help you handle this.

Reply to Star
Posted by: Karen | 2005/07/27

I think you need to do a pregnancy test to set your mind at ease but, depending on how long you were on the injection, you may find that your doctor was a little out on the time that it will take to regulate and start ovulating again.

Please do a test!

Reply to Karen
Posted by: u | 2005/07/27

Why would your dad freak out? He knew you guys were living together, so he must have realised that there is always a chance of falling pregnant.

Forget about him , you are an adult now. None of his business now.

Think whats best for you and baby.

all of the best.

Reply to u