Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2004/10/06

POssible Throat Cancer?

Hi Cyberdoc For about a year now I am having trouble with swallowing. It is worse with bread for instance and I have to clear mr throat a couple of times before I can swallow. The same happens when I eat butternut or anything soft as well. I haven't been to a doctor and it is not painful. It is embarrassing though as I am unable to swallow without regurgitating my food a couple of times and people think I am vomiting. I am now - just finding it hard to swallow. My sister my late mother had it as well and that it is a sign of stress. Do you agree or should I have some sort of test?

Cat, it might be a sign of stress (globus hystericus) but then it shouldn’t be present all the time. It might also be due to an enlarged thyroid, cysts in the neck, growths, etc. the best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.