Question
Posted by: bill | 2004/12/04

possible sore mouth and/or nausea and/or constipation

My 5 year old GSD cross is not feeling too well, but not really ill, She is still happy to eat mincemeat and table snacks. However the past two days she won't eat her dog biscuits and she sorts of smacks her lips and swallows now and then, which I haven't seen before.I can't see any soreness in her mouth. Could she have a sore throat?Also she hasn't passed a bowel movement in 36 hours and is really flatulent

There are so many things that could be wrong, I really cannot answer. Please make sure that her abdomen does not suddenly swell up. If it does please take her to your vet immediately. Sometimes gas distension of the stomach can start off slowly with the symptoms that you observe but can then become very serious if it continues.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2004/12/04

You need to get her to a vet NOW - not next week.

She could have an obstruction somewhere and if that's the case and you don't get it sorted out, you could end up being very sorry.

Also - flatulent means gassy, I suspect that you mean her stomach is distended (ie, swollen). If that's the case, and especially if her stomach feels hardish (feel it GENTLY with the flat part of your hand), then that is all the more reason to get her seen to by a vet.

Maybe you're lucky and there isn't anything much wrong, but if that were my dog, I wouldn't be taking any chances, because it is quite possible from what you describe that there's something more serious the matter.

Reply to Chill