Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2004/12/21

Possible Pregnancy?

Hi There, I am married and 23yrs old. In June 04 I went off the Pill, Only on the 4th November 04 did I then receive my first period, but it was more like spotting, and it lasted for about 5 days. Which is not normal because I normally bleed heavily for a full 7 day period. Then 1 Week later I had back ache and I decided to go to the doctor, who then suggested that I do a pregnancy test (Urine Test). The results were positive. A week later I didn't feel pregant at all, so then I bought a home pregnancy test, which turned out to be negative. The next day I went for a blood test, which was also negative. I now know that what I experienced was a "Phantom Pregnance/False Positive". Immediately after that, I went to the Gaeny, who done an internal examination and pap smear and found that everything is in order. My next period was due on the 28th November 04, but it never came. Then my gaeny suggested that I do a blood test to see if I'm Pregnant, but that too was negative. I also done 2 more blood tests, 1 to see if I was ovulating properly, and another to check my horemones. The results of the 2 tests were positive and all is fine. On the 14th December 04, I bought a home pregnancy test and it the results were negative. Now it the 21st of December 04, and I still have not received my period......my gaeny says that it's fine.....I feel normal, no morning sicknes or breast tenderness...so I really don't think that I am pregnant. please help!

I agree that you are not pregnant. The most likely reason for your absent periods is that you are not ovulating. You say that you had tests to see whether you were ovulating. The test to check for this is a Day 21 progesterone. If this was positive, it may be that you still ovulating irregularly, i.e. ovulating some months and not others.

1
Posted by: moo | 2004/12/21

Your preiods can dissappear for several reasons, not just pregnanacy. Mine dissappeared for about 6 months - the gynea was busy doing a whole bunch of tests when my body just seemed to sort itself out and for finacial reasons I cancelled the rest of the tests. One thing could be polcystic ovaries (there are some other articles on this on the site), excessive running (but I mean excessive). You can either wait a bit longer and see what happens or ask your gyne to investigate. Doesn't sound like you are preggie though after all the tests.

Reply to moo