Question
Posted by: Paul | 2003/02/26

Possible lead poisoning from bullet fragment

I have a bullet fragment lodged in my abdominal fat, about 1.5 to 2cm under the skin. The accident occurred about three days ago and the ER staff suggested it not be removed unless it got infected. My concern is the effect of the lead on my system as I believe high levels of lead can drop sperm counts (amongst other things) and my wife and I are trying for a baby soon. The fragment is about 8mm by 6mm and about 2mm thick. There is severe bruising on the abdomen where it lodged, as it travelled about 50mm before stopping.

Paul, you don’t have to worry about get lead poisoning from the bullet fragment. The body can’t/won’t absorb the lead, but it will encapsulate it and basically “ignore” it. If you want to have it removed, you can ask your GP to do it for you in his surgery. Good luck.