Question
Posted by: JJ | 2004/01/18

Possible HIV?<br>POSSIBLE HIV?

I am a trained nurse and a week ago I draw blood from a patient to be tested for HIV. Unfortunately I prick myself with the needle. The hospital staff tested my blood which was negative and put me on the medication to prevent me getting the virus. The medication really makes me feel terrible. Would it be wise to go off the medicine if the patient's tests prove to be negative?

JJ, this is a difficult question. Most of us stop the medication if the patient is negative, but theoretically the patient might be in the window period and you should continue taking the drugs until the follow up sample is also negative. Good luck.

2
Posted by: HIV+ | 2004/01/19

Hi JJ,
Im really sorry about the situation you are in.I know exactly how worried you must be right now.Since the patient is positive,i suggest that you finish the course coz it could save your life.I know that the first 72 hours after exposure are the most crucial because thats when the virus gets into your bloodstream so most people take the course for about 7 days and wait for the results.I say finish the course and test yourself every 3 months for the next 6 months to confirm.Right now you will test negative so the only true test will be in 6 months or you can take the PCR test 3 weeks after you finish your course.It will give you an accurate result.I wish you good Luck and Gods Blessings.

Reply to HIV+
Posted by: JJ | 2004/01/19

CyberDoc

Thanx so much for returning my message. I just found out that the patient tested positive! What is the percentage of getting the virus by a needle prick? And will the medication be a preventive measure agains getting the virus?

JJ

Reply to JJ