Posted by: Tania | 2008/08/12

Possible Hernia

I' ve been told by my GP that I have a possible hernia ( I haven' t been for tests yet but was prescribed Altosec, which I don' t use too often ). I constantly have that full bloaded feeling which on some days can be quite uncomfortable and painful. I even look pregnant on some days because my stomach is so bloated and find the spot under / between my breasts ( my crop ) very sensitive.

Should I consider going for further tests and once rectified ( if so ) will my stomach ' deflate'  to its normal size? I have become very self-concious lately.

Many thanks,


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hallo Tania
If your doctor suspects a hiatus hernia, you will have to use your Altosec regularly for at least 6 weeks to see if the symptoms improve, if not, you may need to be referred to a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy to see if repair by operation is necessary. Try also to eat right: avoid gassy cooldrinks, food that ferment quickly like bread, beans, cabbage, broccoli and brusselsprouts. Take probiotics three times a day and ensure that your tummy works at least once in 3 days by taking something like Fybogel orange. Drink enough water (8 glasses a day) and eat more soluble fibre ( in veges and fruit) than unsoluble ( in wholewheat/legumes etc)
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.