Question
Posted by: upbeat | 2005/06/28

positive things today

My partner was killed a year ago, and it really was very tough for me being left with a small child and getting on without him. I also lost my job over the past year, and never thought the sun would shine again.

And then, I got up this morning, the sun was shining, Table Mountain was standing in all its glory, my beautiful child was innocently sleeping next to me, there was a nice chill in the air, and all of sudden I'm just really happy to be alive. I don't know how, or why, but it's as if I crept out of hybernation this morning. I know it's not all moonshine and roses and that grieving will still be part of my life for years to come (have been there before), but I truly feel as if I can now go on. While driving to work (new job since January) I started to really appreciate things: the woman who waved her thanks because I gave her a gap in the heavy traffic, the smile of the newspaper vendor when I left him a huge tip, the beauty of the Cape, my kid singing along with the CD in the car, her hug and kiss when I dropped her at nursery school, the friendly greeting of colleagues when I arrived at the office.

What have all of you experienced today that made you happy?

Hi upbeat --- thanks for you positive and inspiring message. If you ever read CS Lewis's brilliant short acount of his own bereavement ( A Grief Observed ) he also talks of this suddent sort of Spring of the soul, when things start to feel clear again. Not that it's over, but that you can now feel that it will, eventually, be over. And above all, perhaps, regaining the ability so many people have lost, to recognize and appreciate the many things in life that can bring us joy, and not only those that carry sorrow.

3
Posted by: Nadine | 2005/06/28

I'm happy because God has blessed me with a husband, 2 beautiful children, a roof over my head, sunshine, blue skies, oh, the list is endless. Im just happy because im alive ahd healthy.

Reply to Nadine
Posted by: KC | 2005/06/28

Good for u being do positive. If anything had to happen to my fiance i would die. And u somehow survived to live another day and still be positive?

WOW!!

Reply to KC

you know what - you re right - Life IS great!!! reading your posting just made me realise that we are so quick to moan but so slow to appreciate the mere basics in life? for me, have had a horrendous time lately (had an accident yesterday and think my car is a write-off!), but hey, I am alive and things could have been SO MUCH WORSE!
Thanx for this uplifting post and have a great day.