Question
Posted by: B | 2006/11/02

positive hpt, now what?

hi
I did a hpt this morning, tested positive. Whats the next step?
Go to gp for blood work to confirm pregnancy? Then to gynae I guess. Will the gynae also perform blood tests at the first visit?
Does the second test cover more things like hiv, anemia?

Also I have started the folic acid, is there anything else I should be taking? Or staying away from?

Thanx

Make an appointment with your gynaecologist. You will have additional blood tests at that time. You can take a general multivitamin like Pregnavit M.

3
Posted by: Lou | 2006/11/02

You need to go to your gp for a blood test to confirm the pregnancy. Your next step will be to book your first appointment at the gynae - you can go straight away or wait until around 10 weeks, which is when you will be able to see something on the scan. Ask your doctor which he suggests for you.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: JJ | 2006/11/02

Congrats, you should be taking folic acid and pregnancy multivitamin. they say taking the omega 3 is ot good for baby in the early stages and should be taken at about 7 1/2 months. Also stay away from shell fish like prawns and mussels iodine is bad for baby. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reply to JJ
Posted by: Mia | 2006/11/02

Congratulations! I think you must take at least 800 mcg of folic acid everyday. Also take enough calcium. Zinc is also very good, as it helps with cell division. And Omega 3 is good for baby's brain and eyes.

Good luck!

Reply to Mia