Question
Posted by: Jane | 2006/07/28

Portion sizes are confusing

I have been following a low-GI diet for almost 3 years now, and with regular exercise this helped me to loose a lot of weight. But this portion business just doesn't make sense. It is probably the most difficult to tackle. Doesn't the size or age or level of activity play a role? One can understand that a portion still stays a portion no matter what, but then must the amount of each food group increase? If I (23 year old female) have to eat 2 milk proteins, 4-6 carbs, 2-4 proteins, 4 fruits, 4-5 veg, 6 fats (according to what my dietician gave me 2 years ago), doesn't the amount change because I exercise 4-6 times a week and my RMR is so high? One of the daily help tips says that one portion of veg is 2 tablespoons! How can one have sustained energy even if one eats low GI but the portions are so incredibly small? Please help to understand this.

Dear Jane
Your dietitian will have worked out your portions and low-GI diet for your circumstances as they applied 2 years ago. It stands to reason that you would have to return to her for a reassessment if you have lost a lot of weight and/or started to do a lot of exercise, or if any other factors in your life have changed. If you are losing too much weight or are tired or listless on this diet then you would need to increase the portions you eat and also increase your intake of low-GI carbs. But rather discuss this with your prescribing dietitian.