Posted by: apple | 2008/08/26

popcorn &  low fat and low GI snacks

I' ve heard that airpopped popcorn is a low fat snack, but is it low GI as well? And what should the portion size be?

I have a BMI of 35 and am on a low GI diet and Glucophage. I also have high-blood pressure so I' m not sure if the salt on popcorn will be good for me. (can' t have it without the salt though).

Please suggest some other healty snacks that I can have because I am struggling to find something to snack on.
Is the salty rice cakes from Woolworths low GI? And if I have some hummous with veggy sticks is that okay? What about the oil in the hummous?

I don' t like sweet stuff and have to force myself to have one piece of fruit a day and I also dislike yogurt.

Dear Apple
I am not quite sure what you mean by air-popped popcorn? Do you mean the type made in a bag in the microwave? Standard low-fat popcorn has a low GI, but microwave popcorn has a slightly higher GI. I agree that the salt in commercial popcorn is not good if you suffer from high bp. For healthy low-GI and low-fat snacks you can use rye or seedbread or Pro-Vita with fat-free cottage cheese (which comes in a variety of flavours) or dried fruit, celery or carrot sticks, baby tomatoes, berries and deciduous fruit. A snack portion is usually 30 g (two tablespoons). Rice cakes are high GI and the high oil content of hummus makes it rather fattening. Did you consult a dietitian for this low-GI diet and is it also low-fat? if not, then Please do see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through this initial period until you are used to low-GI eating.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/13

Is microwave popcorn fattening?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/13

Are Mango Dried Fruit Slices fattening to snack on?