Question
Posted by: SASHA | 2004/01/13

POPCORN

Hi doc. You said that unbuttered popcorn contains 21,8 g of fat per 100g. I dont understand. If I dont put oil or butter on my popcorn how can it contain any fat. There is no fat in the corn itself is there?

Dear Sasha
The values in the SA Food Tables are for plain popcorn which is presumably made by popping the corn in some hot oil - hence the fat content. If you pop the corn in a microwave without any fat whatsoever, then it would probably contain the same amount of fat as whole, dried corn kernels, namely about 4g per 100g. However, I seem to recall that if one buys microwave popcorn the mix does contain some fat. Unfortunately, the Tables do not list the values for popcorn made without any fat.