Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2005/07/28

Poor people

I'm curious - all the gay people I know are quite well off, they seem to lead a good life because they don't have children to pay for - are there any SERIOUSLY poor gay people, who don't have homes or live on the street? and who helps them?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your posting. It is a myth that all gay people are "well off".

The gay population in South Africa must be seen in the context of the general population. For example, many people forget that the majority of gay people in South Africa are Black, often disadvantaged and living in township areas, often in squatter areas. Many gay people are unemployed. Many gay people left school prematurely because of prejudice and discrimination against them by educators or fellow learners. We have gay 'bergies' (homeless people) in Cape Town. There are gay street children in our urban areas and there are gay people in street shelters.

1
Posted by: Liz123 | 2005/07/28

Why this quistion?

Reply to Liz123