Question
Posted by: teddy | 2006/11/08

poor memory

For years I've always had poor memory. I'm 23 years old. For example, I often do not remember names of songs, people's names, I was in school 5 years ago, but I've forgotten a lot of what I've learnt...eg things I learnt about our body in Biology!

The other day, I was playing the game 30 seconds with friends, and the question was "who is the current president of America"...and even though I know who he is...his name just wouldn't come to mind! I just couldn't remember at the time. Its so frustrating!

People mistake my poor memory for being stupid...and to be honest, even I sometimes feel like I'm so stupid! Even though I know Im not. It really affects my self confidence.

So I've suffered with this for years and desperately need to know what I can do about this. Is there some kind of memory enhancing drug that I could take?

PLEASE help!

The school curriculum is so poor and not so well taught, so I doubt whether many who graduate can remember much of the details. ut at least it is easier to re-learn such details if and when one needs them. And of course, worrying about one's memory can be counter-productive, as anxiety makes it harder to retrieve the answer you're loking for. Most often, problems with memory arise from poor concentration or poor study technique, and can be helped with some coaching in better methods for studying, indentifying things needing to be remembered, etc.
If you are sure there's good reason to be worried about your memory, then a good general physical checkup would be useful, and some counselling to improve your self-confidence. And NONE of the drugs or remedies you might be offered improve memory at all ; many of them actually cam worsen it

3
Posted by: Another bad membory | 2006/11/09

Hi Teddy,

Does your bad memory only affect names? Are you able to remember things is great detail - but names are another thing.
I sympathise with you because I have the same problem and now just laugh it off. Everyone know that when it comes to names and numbers I'm hopeless but for the rest of it, I remember in great detail. Try to associate names with something - of course if you are like me you forget what you were trying to associate the name with. Practice as much as you can. I do silly things like trying to remember the adds on TV - I write them down when they appear and then a while later try to remember them, a memory exercise. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know how idiotic one feels when you can't remember the name but you can see the person in your mind. Its like not being allowed to read the name under a picture. Work on it but don't give yourself a hard time.

Reply to Another bad membory
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/11/08

Okay, ask yourself, do you remember things you're really interested in?

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/11/08

You need to concentrate more on things you learn.

Reply to Echelle