Posted by: megan | 2007/02/26

poor concentration

Dear doc, i really need your advice as i am desperate for help. Im as 21 year old student at unversity and i find it extremely hard to concentrate. Im in my second year and i struggled with this problem since high school - only differance is that i high schoo and my first year at unil i could afford to study very slowly, the amount of work was much less. Please dont think im lazy, im very shy and dont have many friends, so i rarely (ever!) go out - it doesnt really bother me, im not a very social person.
I do however, find it very hard to concentrate on my studies. I go to class every day - but when i have to study the material - my mind wanders and i daydream - i get distracted so easily. I also take so long to memorise the material - i would sit for hours (i promise, sometimes 3 - 4 hours) with the same page infront of me - reading it, but not taking anything in. I would sit at my desk, books open infront of me, but my mind will wander and then i will just sit there reading the material, but not taking it in!
Im really desperate for help and i dont know what to do. I am nervous to go and see a doctor because im scared he/she might think im just lazy or looking for attention. I really want to get my degree and make a success of my future, but i find it very hard to concentrate.
ive tried all the tonics - turbovite, brain boosters, ginko biloba - everything, nothing helps. Im also using the betakit global studysystem, which i dont think is helping much.
I would really appreciate it if you can give me advice on what to do. I live a helathy life - no alcohol, smoke, red meat - but lots of fruit and veg and fish. (and oats for breakfast) I did suffer from anorexia and then bulimia for about 4 years, but im fine now for almost 2 years. Please will you give me advice on what to do or what to say to a doctor, as i am rather scared of them. Im really nervous seeing them.
Thank you so much for your time and help, i really appreciate it

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hi Megan
Ask your doctor to try Nootropil, if all else fails ask him to refer you for evaluation for attention deficit disorder, as you may need Ritalin. Just explain to him exactly as you did to me.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.