Question
Posted by: Tummy | 2005/11/28

Pooch!

How do I loose the pooch around my waist. I need to loose about 4kgs and flatten my tummy, buts is been hard since having my 3rd baby a few months ago.

I want to get my body back

The key to achieve this goal is regular exercise training and a good diet. You have to have both, otherwise the best diet or exercise plan in the world is ineffective. As far as exercise goes, the goal must be to reduce body fat percentage and to lose those 4 kg, because the scientific truth is that one cannot "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said this, it is still important to do specific weight exercises, in this case, crunches, situps come to mind. I would suggest 3 sets of 15 situps, and 3 sets of 15 crunches every second day to get started on, but the cardio must be the goal and focus, that you do at least 4 or 5 times a week.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!