Question
Posted by: Speed Freak | 2008/07/08

Polymalgia rheumatica

I am 69 and have been diagnosed with the above condition. I have always been very active, belonging to hiking clubs and avid gardener, then suddenly found I kept losing my balance and falling. My Specialist has advised exercising and I walk for at least more than thee quarters of an hour (I have 6 dogs!) who require the exercise as well. However, I find that my left leg and arm are particularly weak and I can only walk uo stairs by clutching bannisters or railings. This really annoys me and I wondered if Pilates or a bioketikist could help me. Which would be the better? I used to swim at Virgin Active in our area but although the pool temperature always 26 degrees, it is often freezing and it makes me seize up especially with the airconditioning fans blowing right on top of one. I have made several complaints/suggestions none of which have been taken up. Even the kids from swimming clubs come out chattering. In the present cold we are experiencing it is not exactly a thing I would like to do as t takes me hours to get warmed up again. It is not a problem in summer but by that time my subscription has expired and I have to pay the full amount all over again.

Please advise whether Pilates or Biokentikist would help me with my weak left arm and leg. Thank you.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Speed Freak
I assume that you have already been successfully treated for this and that t was not diagnosed in conjunction with something called Giant Cell Arthritis. Treatment for Polymyalgia Rheumatica can last for 6 months -2 years (usually with cortisone). I'm not sure how the loss of balance fits in with this and maybe this should be investigated on its own.
I presume the physician advised exercising for the stiff joints. I am a firm supporter of Pilates exercise, and because it is a much more stretching and joint mobilising type of exercise, you would certainly benefit from this.
I do suggest that you confirm the reason for the loss of balance with your physician.

1
Posted by: Mickey N | 2008/07/28

I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia 4 years ago. I was treated initially with steroids and after a few months treatment they affected my muscles. I was taken off the steroids but it was too late and the Achilles Tendons ruptured in both legs. Nothing could be done to correct this and I have been left with absolutely no balance at all. I wonder if this could be the problem with Speed Freak. In my case the loss of all balance is permanent.

Reply to Mickey N