Question
Posted by: Tara | 2005/11/21

Polycystic ovaries - overweight - too little too late?

I visited my gynae recently after being 10 days late (usually 27- 32 day cycle) and home pregnancy tests showed negative results. He suspects I have polycystic ovaries and underwent blood tests the following day. Including fasting glucose for insuling resistance. I have a BMI of 30 and have already lost 8 kgs. He says that part of what causes this is being overweight. Is this completely my own doing? I used to be about 10kgs underweight and can't believe I've now done such harm to myself being so overweight - what are the chances of conceiving without having to use drugs to stimulate ovulation?

Dear Tara

There is a fairly strong association between being overweight and polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD). However, not all situations where menses have been delayed is a result of PCOD or failure to ovulate.
Without having excess to your blood results I am unable to confirm whether you do actually have PCOD and insulin resistance.
However, should this be the case, then weight loss or weight reduction is ceratinly part of the treatment regiment. Additional treatment would include some form of medication to improve insulin resistance and it is common to use a medication called Metformin, or Glucophage as is in this situation. Futhermore, it is necessary ot establish clearly whether you are ovulating or not and this can be done by means of ovulation detcting kits such as the urinary CLEARPLAN or alternatively to do a blood test at a certain time of menstrual cycle to verify whether you are ovulating or not .
Should you not be ovulating, it it recommended that some sort of ovulation stimulation drugs be used. Since PCOD is a progressive condition, and the condition is aggrevated by the failure to ovulate, it is my advice that you try and induce ovulation as early as possible if a pregnancy is desired.
However, if you are not intending to fall pregnant immediately, and are simply concerned of the irregular menses, then I would suggest the use of contraceptives in order to regulate the cycle and maintain and control the progression of the condition and preventing it from causing any further harm.