Question
Posted by: marigold | 2008/01/29

Polycystic ovaries

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries at the age of 21 and have been on the pill ever since to regulate my menstrual cycle. If I leave the pill nothing happens.
Please advise on my chances of having a baby?

Dear Marigold

The chances of conception will depend on several factors including the severity of the polycystic ovaries as seen on ultra-sound scan as well as the hormone profile. In addition, the possibilities of insulin resistance co-existing or other parameters of the metabolic syndrome or further impact on the possibilities of conception. However, a trial of ovulation induction is by far the best means of testing ovarian response and hence it would be prudent to attempt such ovulation induction under the supervision of a fertility specialist.

3
Posted by: Trixie | 2008/07/23

I' m a diabetic, hypertensive, have hypothroidism, am anaemic &  have polycystic ovaries. I want to be able to have a family &  need to know my options &  how to go about with this.

Reply to Trixie
Posted by: marigold | 2008/02/12

Hi. When I took the pill and was diagnosed with PCOS, I also
had a white discharge, it was colourless and looked like blobs of jelly. But it did not lead to infections or disease or anything like that. Hope this helps. But it is always best to consult your Gynae or your family GP. Thanks

Reply to marigold
Posted by: Ntombi | 2008/02/05

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am now on the pill to regulate my period. I have however noticed a white sticky discharge almost everyday, and this was not mentioned as a side effect on the pill pamphlet. I am now worried that this might not be normal, is it?

Reply to Ntombi