Question
Posted by: L | 2003/02/19

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

I was on a 1000kcal a day diet and was losing weight consistently for about 5 months, but for the last 6 months I have been plateauing. My periods have been a bit irregular too and I do have a tiny bit of hair on my chest. Could I have polycystic ovaria syndrome (and what is tis and is it treatable) or is it simply my metabolism slowing down to cope with the few calories?

L, your symptoms are more likely to be due to you losing weight than PCOS. It’s not that your system is necessarily slowing down, it’s probably just that you have reached your weight for your current calorie intake. Why don’t you have a look at this article (http://www.health24.co.za/Default.asp?action=article&ContentiD=11929) and let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.