Question
Posted by: Missy | 2005/12/02

Polycystic ovarian disease

I've recently been diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian disease (blood tests, ultrasound etc). I'm a bit confused with all the info on the net. What can I do to improve this apart from me taking Glucophage 2x day. Have been going to Weigh less, I need to lose about 20kgs - will it go away? And my gynae says i need to stay on Glucophage for as long as i am pregnant (we are trying to conceive) and then afterwards i should go back to the pill. For how long? Is this in any way related to premature onset of menopause? My LH and FSH levels are the opposite of what they should be and my fastig insulin is 12.3

Missy

You are on the right treatment. If you are not ovulating, you may need medication to stimulate ovulation. When you are pregnant, your sugar levels will be monitored closely to see whether you need to carry on with the Glucophage. The Pill has to be continued long term, as there is no cure for PCOS, only control. It is not related to premature menopause.

1
Posted by: Jo | 2005/12/02

Dear Missy

You need to be on a low GI diet. Meaning a slow release of Glusoce. Stay on the Gluphange it help you to lose the weight. My doctor said I should stay on the pill until I was ready to concieve. (but ask your gynae) I am not sure about the menopause,but if you need an answere please ask the infertiy chat line as the ladies are and will be able give you advice on the PCOD and menopause

Reply to Jo