Question
Posted by: Tee | 2007/02/20

Polycystic

Goodday

My 22yr old sister was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian cysts, can you please explain exactly what this means, can it be treated-how? Does it affect her fertility. Currently her periods are very irregular as well. Sometimes she does'nt get a period for 3 months. She is also overweight does this have any bearing on the above.

This is a condition where there are multiple small cysts in the ovary, with the result that regular ovulation does not always occur. In addition, there are often abnormal hormonal effects, resulting in obesity, acne and increased hairiness. It can be treated.
If not ovulating is one of the problems in a particular person, then fertility is affected.

2
Posted by: Dee | 2007/02/20

a very interesting website is www DOT ovarian-cysts-pcos DOT com. You can subscribe to a newsletter there that is very helpful.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Shez123 | 2007/02/20

I was also diagnoses with PCOS six years ago. It cannot be treated she will have it for the rest of her life but it can be controlled by eating healthy food and loosing weight, she will find it more difficult than normal to loose weight, but being overweight definalty makes the syndrome worse. PCOS causes weight gain, hair growth on the face and chest and irregular periods. It is also known to cause Type 2 diabetes if you do not control your weight. You should search the internet it would be more helpful and give you accurate details on PCOS.

Oh and PCOS can cause fertility problem but it is not imposible to have a child. I have a healthy 3 year old son who was conceived naturally.
Hope this helped a bit.

Reply to Shez123