Question
Posted by: janine | 2007/12/20

polio drops for newborns

Hi there!I just took my baby to the hospital today for her injection and her polio drops.she is one week old.We were four moms in the room and each of the three babies orally received two polio drops.I was then the last one to go and i noticed that the sister gave my baby only one polio drop in her mouth.she was then shaking the bottle containing the drops and then said that that was the last drop.she then left and filled in the baby's health chart.i then asked her if the babie only gets one polio drop and she said yes they do. i dont know why i didnt then question her there then, about the other babies that all received two polio dropsim just so worried now, wondering whether the one polio drop willl be adequate for my baby.but i cant understand why the others received two then

Hallo Janine
Your baby should have had 2 drops. However she will be getting another dose at 6 weeks, so I don't think this will be critical as Polio is not common in South Africa anymore and she will have some of your immunity in her blood still. Just ensure that they give the right dose next time.
dr Bets