Question
Posted by: Golly | 2005/01/11

Policy on Infertility treatments

We are members of Medsheme and I have noted that they pay only for infertility treatments which are done in the public sector. Apparently, that excludes private practises and clinics and academic hospitals.

1. I am unaware of any "public sector" (state hospitals) infertility centers in the Mpumulanga vicinity. Are there even such facilities (except maybe at Baragwanath)?

2. Why would it not be acceptable for the medical aid to pay the minimum stipulated cost and allow the patient to choose the clinic themselves.

At the moment, since I am unable to find a state hospital in my vicinity offering this service, I have to pay for everything myself. I feel that that is very unfair treatment of people battling infertility just because they happen to live far from large city centers and state hospitals.

Your insights will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageArchive

Cover will vary from scheme to scheme. The type of product will also make a difference in the format of cover.

To provide the most appropriate advice, click on the Optivest link and complete the quotation request.