Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2006/10/24

Pocket money

My child is 14 and is forever asking me for money. I buy her clothes I think she will look nice in. She doesn't always agree with my choices. I don't want to give her money, because of all the horror stories I hear about drugs and kids doing things they shouldn't. What do you suggest?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Sarah,

one option would be for the two of you to go shopping together - this could be enjoyable and a way of maintaining a strong relationship with each other.

Also, if you give her money for clothes you can see whether she has bought things, and even budget with her and if necessary ask to look at receipts.

If you are genuinely worried about drug use, rather than scared by stories of drug use you can carry out a drugs test, but I would not recommend this unless you have serious concerns or evidence of this as this could damage the relationship between you.

If you shop together you can give her choice, but also not worry where the money is going.

2
Posted by: XXX | 2006/10/24

At the age of 14 I think she is big enough to choose her own cloths.By giving her money,dont you trust your child,or does she have a problem with drugs.Put her on a test,and see what does she buy with the money,ask her to show you,because you are intrested in what she buy.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Me | 2006/10/24

Hi sorry to bud in but when I was a teenager, drugs were bought for me. It’s your teenager to decide to say no. It’s embarrassing never having money……….

Reply to Me