Question
Posted by: Eina | 2007/12/10

Pneumothorax

I had a pneumothorax on 6 Nov and had pleurectomy and thoracotomay etc surgery for this with a IC drain which was removed 2 days later. Whilst in recovery i had another pneumothorax (same side same place as operation) on 23 Nov this time they inserted ic drain and gave me chemo drugs to "coat lung" and fill holes. I am back at work today but still tired and sore. What is the recovery period for this ????
When will i be able to fly in a plane from JHB to George ???
What can i do to prevent this happening agian ????

Dear Eina
It can take up to 6 weeks to recover. For 6 to 8 weeks after your surgery, avoid any activity that might put stress on your healing incisions, such as heavy lifting. You may be short of breath and sore for a few weeks after the operation.
Ask your doctor when he will be comfortable for you to fly - but at least not in the first month. And do not fly in a small airplane that does not have a pressurized cabin.
There is not much you can do to prevent this - it is an anatomical weak point in the lung...
dr Bets