Question
Posted by: DIDO | 2007/05/29

PNEUMONIA

MY GIRLFRIEND JUST TOLD ME SHE'S DIAGNOSED WITH PNEUMONIA. I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW BAD IS THIS DEASES. CAN I HAVE INFORMATION REGARDING SYMPTOMS, IS IT CUREABLE AND IS IT INFECTIOUS?

Sorry, but this question should go to Cyberdoc. Pneumonia is a lung infection, and its seriousness depends on which of many different possible germs have caused it ; some forms are very infectious, some less so ; and some develop when one's basic immunity is impaired.

2
Posted by: CP MOM | 2007/05/30

I got flu last year which turned into bronchitus and then pneumonia. I did not go to any dr. I thought I'd fix myself. I drove to work one day and I got a pain in my arm, like when you get a heart attack. I couldnt drive and I had a lot of pain. Dr. sent me for xrays where they saw that half of my lung did not even show because it was filled with "the poison" of pneumonia.

I was hospitalized, twice I couldnt breath and nearly died. I was on permanent oxygen and 4 hourly nebulizer. I had an operation where they placed 2 drainage pipes in my lung to drain the poison. 4 days later I came out of ICU and it just got worse and worse. You see I was allergic to penissilan(spelling?) so all the antibiotics did not work and I just got sicker and sicker. The 2nd operation was cancelled just when it started (I'd already got the epidural for pain medication afterwrds) because they could not get any air into my throat. I got sicker and sicker and eventually the could do the 3rd operation. Removing a rib to get to the lung and doing a decortation, scraping the lung till it bled, cut into the lung to remove all he "poison" that had got hard as well as the poison between the lung and my ribs.
I was in ICU 4 a week, I wanted to die, there is no worse fear than not being able to breath and wanting to....the pain is absolutely undescribeble, having these pipes in your lung and you have to breath, they don't move....or with your lungs its not like an arm you just can stop using if it hurts.

I wanted to commit suicide the pain was so bad, at one time i was getting all my pynpills together, saving them so that I can take them all at once! Then the morphine is the worst it helps for the pain like you wont believe BUT the nitemares and the visions are really bad.

This was November (I was in hospital just short of 3 months) oh ja and the therapist that comes twice a day to hit you on your back so you can spit out all that rubbish...not nice!

I still have not fully recovered and they say it can take up to 18 months.

I dont think that everyone is so bad because they might respond quicker to the right meds. I believe if they used the VICIOUS or aggressive meds first and did not play arount it would not have been so bad....I hope this helps!

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Maria | 2007/05/29

This question would be more appropriate for the CyberDoc. However, go to Health24 home. In the middle of the page to the right there is a blue picture of a person. Click on the word "Chest". When it asks you to select a disease, select Pneumonia.

Reply to Maria