Question
Posted by: JS | 2007/04/11

PND + Death of a close friend

Message:

I suffered severely for Post Natal Depression, after the birth of my LO, I am still on Talomill 20mg once a day, and have done quite well, up until now, one of my best friends since Std 4 has died in a car accident over the long weekend. She s 23 of age, same as I, we were pregnant together, had our birhtdays a week a part of each other, and our LO's two months apart from each other,

Her daughter of 11 months, and her husband to be ( they were going to get married in October) are left alone.
She and her brother was in the accident, her brother is still in ICU. Another car skipped a red robot and crashed into them........... I m struggling to cope with the loss, and am starting to feel depressed again, I m trying to stay focused and to let God protect me against, what I beleive depression, that comes from the evil one.

I m constantly thinking, what if - and how, and and and.... I know I shouldnt, but theres so much I dont understand, I feel exhausted but yet, cannot sleep, and I feel so scared, of what I dont know, I feel anxious.. I need to shut down all of these thoughts and start thinking of positive things, I feel I m making myself sick, thinking of everything of her all the time... and her LO - so so so heartbreaking.

I would appreciate your advise.

So sorry to hear of your recent bereavement. Despite the obvious overlap in symptoms, there can also be a distinction between Depression and Grief, and here they are probably overlapping. It may well be that some counselling, especially of the CBT format, could help you keep this tragic event in proportion. There is much about such sad events that nobody understands. Grief takes time, and we mean what we say when we speak of "grief work", as there is indeed real work that needs to be done. Call yopur psychiatrist and get his/her advice, as well.

2
Posted by: BPD | 2007/04/11

Unfortunately these things do happen to the best of us. I suggest going to your Psychiatrist and telling him/her about the situation and tell him to up your meds. Then I suggest going to a psychologist and dealing with the issue at hand. As for the church thingy... You are right, depression is from the evil one, but there are doctors to help you get through it. Hang on to your faith, but don't judge yourself for being depressed. Remember depression is a diagnosis and NOT a feeling.

Reply to BPD
Posted by: snoopy | 2007/04/11

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.I know how you feel.I have lost 2 friends (whom i've known since the age of 16, now 38) in one car accident on the 01/03/07.both of these woman had children.give youreself time to grieve, you must go though all the emotions.They say in time it does get better.

Reply to snoopy