Question
Posted by: Sam | 2005/01/10

PND after 3 years?

I have been depressed since the birth of my twins three & a half years ago. Could my depression still be PND? I am convinced that my condition is caused by a hormonal imbalance? The twins were born at 33 weeks and had to stay in hospital for a month. I was sterilised during the emergency C-section. I also still have milk, although I stopped expressing when the twins were 3 months old. It's very difficult to get an appointment with my Gynea, so I've never been back since my 6week check-up. Can my hormone levels be determined by a blood test? If so, what is the test called? Maybe I can just go to a lab and have it done. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Sam

PND can start after a birth and persist if not treated. A hormone imbalance as a cause is unlikely. You may need antidepressants and a psychiatrist might then be the best person to see.
You should have your prolactin measured if you are still producing milk.

1
Posted by: cruz | 2005/01/11

I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from depresion. It must be very hard on you. If you cannot get hold of you gynie try your GP, he can also monitor your hormone levels by sending you for blood tests.

Just remember that sometimes depression can be much deeper than just soughting out your hormonal levels. I think you consider seeing a phycyitrist (spelling). If you go to the Cybershrink section you will also find a telephone number for a support group.

I wish you all the best.

Reply to cruz