Posted by: FedUp | 2008/10/06

Pls need advise

I am a 42 y/o female, with hypertension,migraines,and a very uncomfortable tummy, bloated, gas/winds both either constipation or diarrhea. I am also lactose intolerant.
My medication I am taking is - Cimetidine 400mg 3xday, Spasmo 1 3xday, and it does not seem to be working, I was told that maybe I should try a special diet.

Would you be able to assist me with what I should and should not eat as I am really uncomfortable a sore.

You assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dear FedUp
Because you suffer from multiple conditions (hypertension, migraines and possibly also irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)), I would like to recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). There is a lot of information on the Health24 Website on the various conditions you suffer from and you can do searches using terms like 'Diet and hypertension' or 'Diet and migraines' or 'Diet and IBS'. However you will need someone to put together a diet that combines the features of 3 different dietary regimens, so it will be easier if you see a dietitian who will assist you with this task.
In addition, all 3 of your conditions can be related or exacerbated by stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.