Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2010/03/08

Pls help, so worried

I need you help pls.
I''m currenly 16 weeks pregnant, i was admitted into hospital last week due to heavy bleeding, but thank God both me and baby is ok and doing well. When i was discharged from the hospital the bleeding and spotting stopped. But yesterday i had a bit of a busy day and noticed a bit of a weird discharge and i''m not sure if i should be worried about it or not. It kinda looks like the last of one''s period, you know that dark brown colour discharge ......
Should i be worried about it, it''s not a lot but i''m wearing a pad and there as been a bit of it on the pad and when i go to the toilet and wipe theres a bit on the paper.

Please ... what do i do???

It sounds like some remnants of old blood. I presume you have a date to see your doctor in the next week or so. You can wait till then if there is no further bleeding.

2

Posted by: Clare | 2010/03/08

Hi Stacey,

Vaginal bleeding can occur frequently in the first trimester of pregnancy and may not be a sign of problems. But bleeding that occurs in the second and third trimester of pregnancy can often be a sign of a possible complication. Bleeding can be caused by a number of reasons.

Some basic things to know about bleeding are:

• If you are bleeding, you should always wear a pad or panty liner so that you can monitor how much you are bleeding and what type of bleeding you are experiencing.
•  You should never wear a tampon or introduce anything else into the vaginal area such as douche or have sexual intercourse if you are currently experiencing bleeding.
• If you are also experiencing any of the other symptoms mentioned below in connection with a possible complication, you should contact your midwife or doctor immediately.
Since bleeding that occurs in the first half of pregnancy is so common (20-40%), many wonder what the causes are besides some of the complications already mentioned. Bleeding can occur in early pregnancy due to the following factors, aside from the above mentioned complications:

• Implantation bleeding is one of many normal pregnancy symptoms and can occur anywhere from 6-12 days after possible conception. Every woman will experience implantation bleeding differently— some will lightly spot for a few hours, while others may have some light spotting for a couple of days.
• Some type of infection in the pelvic cavity or urinary tract may cause bleeding.
• After intercourse (known as post-coital bleeding)some women may bleed because the cervix is very tender and sensitive. You should discontinue intercourse until you have been seen by your doctor. This is to prevent any further irritation— this can feel quite frightening, although having sexual intercourse does not cause miscarriage, it is advisable to let bleeding settle. Good luck

Reply to Clare