Question
Posted by: Confused | 2005/11/23

Pls help me...

Hi there,
I am 22yr old female, my height is 1.64... My problem is I have been going to gym for the last month and doing intense exercise and I have not lost anything, if anything I have put on weight. I am really starting to get despondent now... and it isn't muscle either and I don't even eat a lot of junk, I love my veges.
3 months ago I weighed 55KG but then I fell pregnant and picked up about 2KG, my pregnancy ended at 9 weeks with a miscarriage, and now I am back at gym trying to get my figure back and weight back... I picked up some extra weight around my tummy naturally and my thighs and bum. I do intense cardio every night and I just feel like it isn't working, please can you help me, I am going on holiday in Decemeber and would like my bikini body back...
My programme - 15 mins step, super circuit, 20 mins walk on incline.
My body just feels so flabby...

I'm not sure how you know that it's not muscle - other than having a very detailed body analysis, there's no way to know this. My argument would be that it is muscle, because you have only been training for a month and this is the time when the most muscle growth occurs. The other thing is that you are not overweight, you gained two kilograms, but that hasn't pushed you overweight at all. In fact, you are still relatively light. The problem I guess is the specific distribution of fat, and unfortunately, that's a more difficult problem to resolve because it's largely genetic. however, I don't want you to get despondent, just set more realistic goals. I think that to aim to lose 2 kg may not happen, but you can aim at losing centimeters and toning, you have to just be more patient. That sort of change does not happen in one month, it can take a year. But you have to stick with it. now, it's difficult for me to evaluate what is happening in your exercise session, I know nothing of the intensity you are training at. You say it is intense, but I suspect that you will be able to increase it substantially. For example, you are walking at an incline, what happens if you run. What happens if you increase the duration of the run to 30 minutes, or step for 25 minutes instead of 15, even if it means reducing the intensity? The point I am trying to make is that you can play around with the duration and the intensity as you get fitter and then you may see change happen. What you need to remember is that right now, you are less fit and so the intensity, though it feels hard, is actually not that hard. If you get fitter and make the right changes, then in a month or so, the intensity will be much higher and that's when the real big changes can start to happen.

But don't get down on yourself, you are not flabby or overweight, so just be patient and time will sort it out.