Posted by: Micky | 2008/09/25

Pls help

I' m going to have a nervous breakdown soon. My hubby is a recovering alcoholic who now gambles. 2 years ago we had to sell our house because we were so debt trapped, we are renting at the moment and we are so much more into debt than before our car was on the verge of been repossed our accounts are all in the red, we owe dr' s money. I' ve made numerous loans to help us get out of this mess yet he still continues gambling. Our salaries together can' t even cover our debt payments.He is now wanting to resign from work to get his pension to pay off all the debt and the balance his wanting to open his own business. I just don' t know what to do anymore he just won' t stop gambling. I' m so depressed and my stomach is permantely in a knot with worry, i think i ned to go on medication before i have a nervous breakdown, what can i take to keep me calm i' m going insane.

I' m desperate!!!


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Its noticeable, isn't it, how often different forms of over-indulgence occur together or serially. Have you tried contacting the Responsible Gambling hotline ? Where does he gamble ? If at casinos, I believe they can arrange to have someone barred from casinos is recognized as a pathological gambler. And you may need to consult a good local lawyer to seek to protect yourself from his debts. And of course there is no way in which a man in his state could make a success of any business of his own --- and what guarantee is there that his pension fund would actually be used to pay off any of the debts, rather than simply gambled away ?
Jade's comments are wise and sound.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Jade | 2008/09/26

Hi Micky
Im sorry that you going through such a tough time. Your husband clearly has an addictive personality, is he seekng professional help for that? Im sure there are free services available (CDoc?) he has recovered from alcohol abuse, well done but then switched his addiction to gambling. He has to also ban himself from all casinos, which Im sure will already be a deterrent BUT, he has to take responsibilty for his actions first and foremost....That is him, what about you? This has been going on for a while now and seems to be spiralling out of control and he is taking you down with him. You could ask your GP for some calm medication or get over the counter stuff but at the end of the day, you are living in a destructive atmosphere daily and need to fix THAT, pills that you want, are just like taking an asprin everyday for toothache and never going to visit your dentist.
Hopefully some reader can give you some advice as to the paying off of your debt, having an advisor consolidate and make arrangements with yr creditors to pay off at a lesser reduced rate? I think that erviceis out there somewhere.
Good luck, and I applaud you for sticking by your husband and hope you get though this.
God bless...

Reply to Jade

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.