Question
Posted by: stretching | 2008/01/29

Plough

Towards the end of my stretching after a gym work out I normally do the "plough" - legs straight out in the normal position & also with bent knees
I was told this was not good for my back ?
I really enjoy the exercise & have got alot more supple since doing it

Expert ImageYoga

Hi stretching - congratulations on incorporating some stretching into your workout and its unsurprising that you are feeling the benefits. The plough is quite an extreme position and should be approached carefully as there is a lot of pressure on the neck and back - but done properly, cautiously and with awareness it certainly is good for your back. A risk of focussing on a single posture is that you are working one aspect of the body eg flexing the back of the spine, whereas in a comprehensive yoga practise you would work every part of the body. So keep practising and do more is my advice...
Chris

1
Posted by: gdfgj | 2008/08/23

fgdfgdf

Reply to gdfgj