Question
Posted by: bella | 2004/10/09

pleuritic lung

Dear Doc
Please can you explain how I could have got a pleurtic lung infection.
I have this terrible pain in my ribs in my back and can't take deep breaths or cough as it is too sore.
My doctor didn't x-ray me but listened to my chest and said something about it being a pleurtic lung infection and gave me antibiotics. I have taken them but still have the problem.

Bella, the pleura is the sac around the lungs and when it becomes inflammed/infected it typically causes the type of pain you’re complaining of. Taking an x-ray won’t help as it doesn’t show on an x-rays. X-rays are only taken to exclude other causes of chest pain if the diagnosis is unclear. The pain should clear up within the next couple of days, but if it doesn’t or it becomes worse, the best would be to see your doctor (and probably to have an x-ray taken). Good luck.