Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/06/04

Please tell me if this is posible???????

Hi i would like to find out something. I didi a pregnancey test and it came out positive and then I went to Gyno cause I had pains in the lower abdominal, he didi a scan and it showed that there is a pregnancy sac but he couldn't see the egg as yet in the sac, so he told me that it might be that it's early or that nothing developes in the sac and this possible that the sac might not have nothing. I don't know how to react I am a bit stressed and I feel so down I wanted a baby so bad but it's realy sad to know that possible the sac can have nothing in it. How possible is this and what are my chances tath is might not happen.

Dear worried

The condition that the gynae is considering is called a blighted ovum. (no foetal pole with the sac).
However, repeat ultrasound scans are needed to confirm this.

2
Posted by: Kate | 2007/06/04

Hi there, unfortunately this is very possible and happens in 15% of all pregnancies. It is called a blighted ovum which means empty sac. Unfortunately if this is the case with you you will have to have a D&C to remove it but the good news is that at least you know you can fall pregnant!! Emotionally it is very difficult but try to look on the bright side!! I had the same problem and have been ttc again for 8 months now, just found out DH has bad morphology which could also have been a contributing factor to the blighted ovum. It might be worth it just to go and have your DH checked aswell. Hope this helps and hang in there!!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: B*b | 2007/06/04

How far along are you. Most doctors do scans from 8 weeks on because of that specific reason. So stop stressing and wait for about another 2 weeks then go back and have another scan.

Reply to B*b